Subject: X sources
To: Port Amiga <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Garth Corral <garthc@compass-da.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 05/17/1996 11:52:33
Hello all,

    I have a few questions WRT X11R6 and NetBSD-1.1:

    Which sources were used to build the binary X11R6 distribution on
regensburg?  Was it built from a pl12 (13?) X consortium tree?  Were
there any NetBSD/Amiga specific changes made?

    I ask this because I noticed that the XFree86-3.1.2 docs mention that
it (XFree86) will build on NetBSD/Sparc.  Aside from the servers, is
this also true for NetBSD/Amiga?  I know that most of the XFree patches
to X11R6 are specific to the servers but there are a few patches to
libraries, utils, or various other parts of the distribution.  Do any of
these break things under NetBSD/Amiga.

    I would like to build X from sources for my setup because I do not
want to install the distribution in /usr/local  (nor do I want a link).
I know there are a few things in the distribution with compiled-in
pathnames though I can't remember which ones offhand.  If there were
patches to the tree for NetBSD/Amiga are they available somewhere?   If
not, should I use the X consortium sources or are the XFree86 bugfixes
worth trying to build from these sources (except for the servers, of course).

    Finally, what is the status of the sources for Xamiga24?  I know this
subject has been raised here before but what was the outcome?  Are the
sources available?   I would very much be interested in putting together
a patch against the X11R6 tree ala XFree86 (or better yet, get these
integrated into the XFree distribution as the port-sparc guys have done.)

Thanks in advance,
  Garth Corral.