Subject: Re: current status of mounting msdos disks?
To: Thorsten Frueauf <frueauf@ira.uka.de>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-amiga
Date: 05/08/1996 20:37:07
On May  9, 12:11am, Thorsten Frueauf wrote:
> This weekend I saw changes from Michael Hitch integrating the msdos
> support done by Ezra Story. Is this change already finished?

  Well, it's as finished as much as I could do.  It seems to work
for everything I've tried.

> I tryed it with `mount -t msdos -o ro /dev/fd0a` without success.

  /dev/fd0a is minor device 0, which is AmigaDOS track format.
  /dev/fd0b is minor device 1, which is MSDOS track format.

> I also had the following effect when booting NetBSD via loadbsd
> with an HD msdos disk in fd0:
>
> The machine hangs after scanning the scsi controller (attached drives
> are printed) with the following message:
>
> fd0: corrupt track(0) data.

  If you are using the generic root device, and don't specify -b on
the boot, NetBSD is going to look for a root device.  It searches
/dev/fd?a, /dev/sd?a/, and /dev/cd?a (doing the unit numbers in
reverse order) until it finds a valid filesystem.

  Since the floppy is searched first, the driver is going to try to
read the 'a' partition of the floppy.  If the floppy has an MSDOS
disk in it, the driver will get "corrupt track" errors trying to read
using the AmigaDOS track format.

  I haven't seen the system hang when booting at that point, but I
normally boot with -b.

  If you configure your kernel to explicitly specify the root and
swap devices, it shouldn't search the floppy drives for a root
filesystem.

> I have to insert a HD disk (ados) to make NetBSD notice my HD disk drive,
> otherwise it is only detected as DD. So is the above behaviour a bug that
> should be send-pr'ed? Or am I just too inpatient?

  The floppy density is reported by the device ID sent by the drive.
If the drive sends the DD identification, NetBSD will report the drive
as DD.  The floppy drive in my A4000 only reports the HD identification
if an HD floppy is in the drive.  I do not know of any other way to
identify the drive as HD.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu