Subject: Re: X11 Almost running!
To: Nickolas Ray Ellson <grimm@teleport.com>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/29/1996 14:28:40
On Thu, 28 Mar 1996, Nickolas Ray Ellson wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> And everyone else that piped in instantly to my rescue!!! You all said the same
> thing in almost exactly the same way.. I am feeling a lot of kinship in this
> room ;)

	Helping each other out - thats what we're here for! (Only dont
	find a problem due to the separate buffer & vm cache and expect
	a quick fix :)

> [...]
>
> I ran Mosaic, it came up and was unable to locate the internet.. um, ok, so i
> shut down X11 and booted the pppd that I just got running. Then ran X11 and
> tried mosaic. It finds the link, sends requests, but nothing comes back. I
> suspect my domain is not set right for my return path. Anyone know how that is

	Mosaic should only require a resolv.conf to look up its addresses,
	and for you to be on a routable IP address to work. Your machine
	hostname should be pretty much irrelevant to it.
	(If you can telnet out to an dns name then that should be good
	enough)

> set up? I named my machine "marvin" and I connect to my internet service
> provider "teleport.com" with the pppd. I have the nameserver point to teleport.
> so when I type "telnet kelly" I get logged onto the machine "kelly" at teleport.

	looks good.

> When I run pine and send a mail to an outside address it gets there with the
> return address of "root@marvin" ;) So I know I am hooked up for out going.. but
> nothing is going to find me at "root@marvin"

	You _should_ fix your hostname to be fully qualified
	ie 'marvin.teleport.com'. Just change the '/etc/myname' and
	'/etc/hosts' file entries.

	Then you should play around with your .pinerc
	(set 'use-only-domain-name=yes') and your /etc/sendmail.cf
	('DM' changes to 'DMteleport.com').

	This _is_ assuming you have an account of the same name as you are
	sending mail from.. on telport.com!

> Anyway, I thank you all for the help you have given, and anymore you feel like
> giving. I will be reading the Unix Administrators Guide I bought this weekend to
> try and absorb all the help I have gotten so far. Sendmail doesn't look to self
> explainatory right now, it may take a while. At least I got my aliases to build
> :)

	You have three levels of sendmail
	- fix the DM line, to masquerade as a given @xx	(trivial)
	- use m4 & write your mc file			(some work)
	- write in sendmail.cf				(heavy!!!!)

	You should be able to do it with just the DM line, but otherwise
	all you should ever need can be done with the m4 style sendmail
	config files...

                   David/abs             (david@mono.org)

+44 181 888 8949 System Manager, Southern Studios Ltd, Box 59, London N22 1AR
 >=- OpenBSD http://www.openbsd.org. Free un*x for {sparc,i386,m68k,...} -=<
       <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.org >>>