Subject: Re: X11R6 with CyberVision 64???
To: Nickolas Ray Ellson <grimm@teleport.com>
From: Michael Teske <teske@mail.desy.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/28/1996 13:06:06
On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Nickolas Ray Ellson wrote:

> I have a A3000 with 12 megs fast and 2 chip, with an 040 at 25Mhz
> I am booting netbsd with the Cybervision 64 kernal (fix2) from the
> Amiga NetBSD
> webpage and I downloaded the CyberVision Xserver binary.

Aehm, if you use Xcv64 you have to use the cv64-console-kernel from
regensburg. The fix2-kernel only supports Xamiga24. But that's not the
problem now, but it will be your next problem.

> I have also downloaded
> all the X11R6 files and untar'ed them onto my system.
>
> I know I need help at this point as I don't know what file to replace with my
> Cybervision Xserver binary, and just how to start X11. I executed the server
> alone and it said my grf device was not configured and it loaded a screen that
> was kinds grey and plain (like an empty workbench screen) and gave me a mouse
> cursur but nothing else. I had to power off to get out.

No, you don't have to power off. If anything goes wrong, you can use
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to quit the server. The screen was probably a AGA
Screen, because without -dev switch the Xserver tries all available devices.

> So I saw how to use
> grfconfig to set my grf device and got the ReadCVMonitor-1.0 program to read my
> cybervision monitor preferences to a file I can feed grfconfig but it didn't
> like it.
>
> % grfconfig /dev/grf0 monitor  (the name of the file I used)
> and it coughed up an error that said it was wrong

What, exactly was the error message?

> The monitor file looks like this: (I only wanted the 800 x 600 for now so I cut
> the file down)
>
> 1 54000000 800 600 8 800 832 976 1072 1088 600 610 620 0 653

Seems to be ok, do you have empty lines in the file? grfconfig doesn't
like this. Remove them!

Now you should put  Xamiga24 -dev /dev/grf5 -mode 1 in your .xserverrc
and it should run!
Same goes for Xcv64 if you have the new console-kernel from regensburg.

--
Michael Teske (teske@wotan.desy.de)