Subject: Re: communication on BSD
To: YU SONG <cs_yus@cs4.lamar.edu>
From: Stephen Champion <steve@betty.onshore.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/24/1996 18:49:16
YU SONG said:

> I have been used a little telecommunication program called "minicom"
> on Linux for a long time. It is really nice. I wonder where the source is
> so that I can compile under BSD-Amiga. Frankly, kermit can not compete with
> it.

	I've compiled it with minor difficulties, and had success with it under
NetBSD-1.1 on my Amiga.  It seems to like most BSD derived systems other than
SunOS 4.x (which supposedly has flow control problems - it's never done
anything for me on my SunOS Sparc-1).

	Minicom doesn't even begin to compare to Term, but when you don't
feel like rebooting, it'll do the job.  It's marginally better than Seyon, and
has the advantage of not requiring X.

	Just remember that it'll take away one line from your terminal for the
little status line on the bottom.  I usually run it from an fvwm popup that
runs an "rxvt [...] -e minicom" with 51 rows (instead of my normal 50).

	If I remember correctly, I made some changes to the makefile and one
or two to the source to get it compiled.  Also, the lsz/lrz makefiles were
completely unusable, and I compiled them manually (pretty easy).

	Any case, here's the lsm...  I think this is where you can get the
source, although I may have grabbed it from gatekeeper.dec.com myself:

steve@betty:~ [658/158]$ more /usr/local/src/minicom-1.71/doc/minicom-1.71.lsm
Begin3
Title:           minicom
Version:         1.71
Entered-Date:    25MAY95
                 clone of the well-known SMDOS Telix program. It has ANSI
                 color, dialing directory, dial-a-list, script language etc.
                 This release has some bugfixes over 1.60 and 1.70 and
                 includes the "macro and color" patches, a complete termcap
                 and lrzsz-0.12a.