Subject: Re: NetBSD/Amiga 1.1 SCSI Tape Problems (Long!)
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alexander Elkins <aoe@swttools.fc.hp.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/15/1996 12:42:54
Per Bojsen at pb@delta.dk wrote:

>I'm running NetBSD 1.1 on an A3000 with an A3070 external tape drive
>attached to it.  I experience reproducible lock-ups when reading from
>the tape drive.  My guess is the lock-ups are either SCSI bus lock-ups
>or deadlocks in the SCSI subsystem of the kernel.  The symptoms are
>that the tape drive stops and from that point on no SCSI devices can
>be accessed and the system freezes shortly after that.  Interestingly,
>the tape drive always stops just after it has reversed its direction,
>i.e., when changing tracks (not the end of tape or the end of the file
>being read).  Is this a known problem?
. . .
>Has anybody experienced problems similar or identical to this?  What
>is the suggested fix, if any?  Perhaps a newer kernel will help?

Yes, I have experienced the identical behavior.  It happened to me as
I attempted to install NetBSD-1.1 from tape.  The system always seamed
to lock up when the tape reversed.  I ended up coping the files to
disk under NetBSD-1.0 BETA and installing from there.  After installing
I tried again reading from tape running NetBSD-1.1 using just "tar tv"
and still had the system lock up.  I'm still running NetBSD-1.0 BETA :-(

>ahsc0 targ 4 lun 0: <CALIPER, CP150, A> SCSI1 1/sequential removable
>The Caliper drive is the A3070, of course.  Apparently, it doesn't
>handle LUNs correctly, by the way.

I also see this behavior.  I have a similar setup, A3000 25Mhz,
A3070 Caliper tape drive, 425Mb Quantum disk and 2048Mb Seagate disk.
Alexander Elkins in Fort Collins, Colorado USA; e-mail: aoe@fc.hp.com