Subject: Re: Help on installation & starting
To: Salvatore Salamone <saausa@wurley.apana.org.au>
From: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@icaen.uiowa.edu>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/08/1996 00:24:14
>                               A1200
>                               68030 + MMU

Do you have a FPU also?  AFAIK, a FPU is required for NetBSD 1.1, but may or
may not be necessary in NetBSD 1.1A (-current) because of the floating point
emulator.

> Next I issued the command 'loadbsd -b netbsd' on my shell, all the sudden
> I get a black screen nothing was working, so I tried the other
> 'loadbsd -I ff -b netbsd' and still I got a black screen. So it made me
> think I just though some of the programs (from WBStartup & MCP) &
> patches (newicons,patchwpa8, ipatch, etc) I was running in the background
> was causing the problem so I didn't want to disable the patches & boot up
> prgs so I stop (Ctrl-D) startup-sequence half way giving a shell prompt

In my experience, starting up NetBSD from Workbench rarely works.  A
nifty solution is to get a utility like 'mousek' that can start different
sections of your s:startup-sequence.  With mousek, you could configure it
so that NetBSD starts up when you boot pressing a mouse button.  This
also saves time by not loading up any unnecessary AmigaDOS stuff.

> only. I tried here 'loadbsd -b netbsd' finally it worked it gave me a
> welcome msg (doesn't look like a welcome msg just bunch of garbage I
> couldn't understand).

Is it really garbage (unreadable) or just information you don't understand
yet?

> Strange but shouldn't I get a pathname of a shell like 'INSTALL' doc say?
>
> Well it didn't ask me so it kept on going until it ask me about
> installation so I put 'y'. Next it asked me which device to use for root
> so I put 'sd0' like the doc said. Suddenly things happen I noticed in a
> quick glance errors such as 'unknowed dostype 0x4d534800 marking used'
>                             'cannot mount root'

It sounds like you entered the wrong dostype with HDToolbox, hence the
"unknown dostype" error.  Make sure your root partition is dostype
0x4e425207.

Or maybe you need to enter sd0*, instead of sd0?  It has been so long
since I did it myself, but according to INSTALL:

     Then you will be prompted for a root device.  At this time type
    'sd0*'

> and then it was counting "4 3 2 1 succeded" and suddenly
> BOOM CRASH RESET  (It didn't say that really), my machine resets.
> I tried again the same thing happens, I tried also the other way
> 'loadbsd -I ff -b netbsd' and still the same problem.
> Thats it this where I got stuck now I don't know what to do next.

Don't worry too much about the crash...NetBSD just doesn't like not having a
root partition.  Also, you don't have to bother with the loadbsd -I ff
either, since you have an IDE drive, and the -I ff argument is for SCSI
drives only.

The most important thing is to just keep going through the INSTALL notes
and don't give up.  I know it took me a few tries to get going, and then
a few startovers, but the end result to well worth the effort!

Jeff Thieleke