Subject: Problems with NetBSD1.1: X11R6, diskquotas
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ruben van Staveren <staveren@guyot.ptf.hro.nl>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/05/1996 20:50:40
Weird, weird problems with NetBSD...

As I'm fairly new with NetBSD installation I have experienced a few weird
problems:
1.  problems with quotas
    When using quotas on the home partition, enabled the quota options
    in the fstab, and edited some quotas with edquota  I'll get something
    like this:

    $ quota -v
    No quotas for user test (gid 205)

    When logging in as test and copy the kernal several times in ~test I'll
    get the message that I'm exceeding the quota limit. however I'll get
    the same result when using quota -v. no quotas set.
    when using the repquota utility it lets me clearly see the quotas for
    user 'test', but with a blank field as grace period.

    Well, what's wrong here.

2.  problems with X11R6 from the Gateway I: user administration
    Just grabbed the entire /usr/local/X11R6 dir and tarred & copied onto my
    disk

    When I run Xdaniver, or X ( which is a softlink to Xdaniver ) the mouse
    pointer moves just fine, but when run from startx (xinit) it just hangs
    just like the keyboard.

    The needed devices are present, the window manager also starts fine, but
    input is blocked! permissions of X are amongst others  setuid to root.

    however, xdm starts up fine.

    when inside a xterm I isued the who command. I get only the headerline
    of who and *no* users at all... seems to me that I am a sort of ghost.
    when using rxvt I get the right information.

    In both cases, however it is not possible to issue the command passwd
    I'll get Permission denied:
    when closing that xterm and do a telnet localhost (So I'll get the same
    tty) passwd works fine.

    I think these problems are related. are the X11R6 binaries too old ?

3.  problems with X11R6 from the Gateway I: XLib authorisation.

    when using su or telnet localhost the Xserver denies all X clients from
    within that session. Whats the right format of the Xaccess file ?

    can anyone please help me with these nasty problems ?

    -- Appendices --

A.  installation

    complete NetBSD/Amiga 1.1 distribution
    the main shell is a self compiled tcsh 6.05
    the X11R6 tree from the Gateway CD is used

B.  fstab

/dev/sd0a/ffsrw11
/dev/sd0g/usrffsrw12
/dev/sd0h/usr/localffsrw12
/dev/sd0i/homeffsrw,userquota,groupquota12
/dev/cd0a/mnt/cd9660cd9660ro
/kern/mnt/kernfskernfsrw
/proc/mnt/procfsprocfsrw
swap/tmpmfsrw,-s=50000

C.  X configuration stuff

#
# Xaccess - XDMCP access control file
#

#
# Direct/Broadcast query entries
#

*# allow access from ALL hosts !!!!!!!

#!xtra.lcs.mit.edu   # disallow direct/broadcast service for xtra
#bambi.ogi.edu       # allow access from this particular display
#*.lcs.mit.edu       # allow access from any display in LCS

#
# Indirect query entries
#

#%HOSTSexpo.lcs.mit.edu xenon.lcs.mit.edu \
#excess.lcs.mit.edu kanga.lcs.mit.edu

#*                    dummy               #disallow indirect access for ALL
Hosts
#extract.lcs.mit.edu xenon.lcs.mit.edu   #force extract to contact xenon
#!xtra.lcs.mit.edu   dummy               #disallow indirect access
#*.lcs.mit.edu       %HOSTS              #all others get to choose

-- contents of the xdm-errors file

AUDIT: Mon Mar  4 00:15:23 1996: 100 X: client 11 rejected from local host
  Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1

AUDIT: Mon Mar  4 00:32:19 1996: 100 X: client 13 rejected from local host
  Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1

AUDIT: Mon Mar  4 00:40:34 1996: 100 X: client 11 rejected from local host
  Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1

-- contents of Xservers ( X is a softlink to Xdaniver )

:0 Local local /usr/local/X11R6/bin/X :0 -2 -logo -p 1 -s 10 -terminate

-- and finally, the xdm-config file

DisplayManager.servers:            /usr/local/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
DisplayManager.errorLogFile:       /usr/local/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-errors
DisplayManager.accessFile:         /usr/local/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess
DisplayManager*resources:          /usr/local/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources
DisplayManager*startup:            /usr/local/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xstartup
DisplayManager*session:            /usr/local/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
DisplayManager*setup:              /usr/local/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup
DisplayManager.pidFile:            /usr/local/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-pid
DisplayManager._0.authorize:       true
DisplayManager*authorize:          false
DisplayManager.accessFile:         /usr/local/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess