Re: Installing two versions in parallel

> I do note you said that it's the boot device that is RF level 1,
> whereas the previous paragraph is talking about the root.  But if
> you're booting from level 1 RAID, I would guess you presumably want
> root to be a RF set too.
I don't know whether there's any sensible distinguishment between root
and boot device in NetBSD. I simply used the term to characterize the
system discs and tell them from the data discs (the machine in question
is a file server), which form a RAIDframe level 5 set.

As far as I understand, technically, the system boots from a component
of the level 1 set (knowing to skip the RAIDframe header) up to the point
the kernel is running and (auto)configures the RAID set.

But I don't get what
> It was just a matter of pointing the MBR partitions at the pieces
> of the disk where I had the four OSes installed
and
> The NetBSD partitions involved were all set up with the same disklabel
> and used kernels configured with root on the appropriate partitions.
mean.
Does that mean you started with the usual setup of one MBR partition with
a disclabel and then artificially pointed the other MBR entries to the
disclabel partitions containing the root file systems of the other OSes?
But how would you be able to boot from an MBR partition containing no
disclabel?