Re: nice question (pun optional)

> With both PRI and NICE lower numbers mean more priority.  In the case
> of NICE, the superuser can set NICE to be negative, giving the
> process concerned more priority.  But the PRI number goes up, i.e.
> *less* priority.  That's what I don't understand.

Well, as I understand it - which may be wrong - PRI is a scheduling
priority that floats around based on various things.  One of those,
yes, is the nice value, but another is what it's doing (CPU crunching,
I/O, sleeping, etc), what it's done recently, possibly others.

I'd have to UTSL to say much more; I've never dug into scheduler
priorities in any detail, and, even if I had, that knowledge would
likely (you don't say which version you're running, but it's probably
newer than what I've worked with) be out of date for your purposes.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign