NetBSD failing to report IPv4 when installing on VMware vSphere/vCenter

Hello,

I'm trying to add NetBSD to my "build farm" so I can build and test software on NetBSD. I'm using Packer to create a NetBSD 9.2 virtual machine using VMware vCenter 7.0. While the installation completes successfully, Packer fails to get its IP address, and thus cannot complete the process. When I look at the summary of the virtual machine in vCenter, I can see that VMware Tools are running, and the hostname is being reported back, so it seems (almost) everything is good with vmt, and that there is no need for me to install open-vm-tools as this is a headless installation. However, no IP address is being reported. When I connect to the virtual machine, I can see it has an IP address other than the loopback address.

I proceeded to manually install NetBSD 9.2 in vCenter and ended up with the same results.

Is there any documentation or existing bugs related to vmt as to why the IP address may not be reported, or possible workarounds?

Jenkins, amongst other CI/CD products, can start new virtual machines from a template, use the vCenter APIs to get the IP address, SSH to the host, and proceed to build or test the software. When all is said and done and there are no more tasks (e.g. an hour afterward), the virtual machine is destroyed, and we'll repeat the process again when needed.

The amount of electricity consumed by my hosts is directly proportional to the number of VMs actively running, and since my "build farm" originally ran 90+ virtual machines (Linux, Windows, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and whatnot), that cost is about $150-$200 more per month. That's lots of beer being wasted. Getting the virtual machine to report the IP address will help me save a few beers.

I managed to see the same behavior for NetBSD 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.2, 8.1, and 8.0 and that makes supporting NetBSD a tad more complicated. I don't see this behavior with the various Linux distros, OpenBSD, or FreeBSD virtual machines I created using Packer.

Thanks,
Werner