Changes to named between 7.0 and 9.2?

One of the things that went awry after upgrading from 7.0 to 9.2 was
that the automatic renewal of my Letsencrypt certificate stopped
working.  For one thing I lost my crontab, which I hadn't realised was
ketp in /var, but that's fixable with a bit of editing.

More importantly the DNS update challenge no longer works.  named -g
-d 9 reports:

request has invalid signature: TSIG update: tsig verify failure (BADSIG)

Nothing is different in my acme.sh setup, and I can manually update
the zone with a TXT record using nsupdate with the same key
on the nameserver.

Is it possible that 9.2 generates a signature differently from 7.0,
despite the relevant key files being identical?

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>