Re: help with 9.2 setup

On 15 Feb 2022, at 16:33, Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost> wrote:

I'm updating my network of servers to 9.2 from, variously, 7.0 and
8.0_RC1, starting with a local machine before I do the colos.

I haven't installed the etc set (yet) for fear of complications, but I
have instaled xetc.

Two issues at the moment:

1. Console keyboard is doing US rather than UK, despite encoding being
set to uk in wscons.conf (it's a USB device).  Has something changed
about wscons.conf?

2. X Windows starts, then immediately disconnects.  No errors in the
log file, but stderr reports: Undefined PLT symbol "_XGetRequest".
It reported a few of these until I removed .xinitrc, .Xincludes and
.Xresources, and now we're down to one.  I take it this is an
executable being called that was compiled against older libraries, but
I had assumed that the system xinitrc would only call 9.2
executables, and I can't see anything there that wouldn't be freshly
instlled.  _XGetRequest errors have been plaguing me for a long time,
and I had hoped that 9.2 would get rid of them.  Incidentally, if I
just run X the server does start, shows the trademark grey weave
pattern, and just sits there with a working cursor, but doesn't do
anything useful of course.

BTW, is there any fuller discussion anywhere of issues that can arise
when updating /etc?  The Instasllation Guide is not all that helpful
on this.

Have you installed all the binary sets when you ran the installer? (Or did you do this from source?) The stock X sets should just work.

"/usr/sbin/postinstall check" might give you some hints on /etc breakage.

All the best
Chris