Re: Emergency: headless server boot advice needed (repost)

At Fri, 26 Nov 2021 11:06:30 +0000 (UTC), steve%prd.co.uk@localhost (Steve Blinkhorn) wrote:
Subject: Emergency: headless server boot advice needed (repost)

> I have a headless server in a remote data centre which was last
> rebooted in June 20128.

Now that's a fun typo!  Is it 2012, 2018, or some time far in the
future?  :-)  I'm guessing 2018 is the right number?

> I have been doing health checks prior to
> uipgrading to 9.2 and find that the OOB remote management console is
> not responding.

So, given what you wrote below, do you mean the console on com0?  I.e. a
serial console?

> Data centre staff report that hte VGA port appears dead on attaching
> either a net-connected KVM unit or a physical monitor.  dmesg.boot
> reports the console as com0:.
>
> Is there any way of redirecting the console prior to a power cycle
> from within NetBSD so I can use a virtual console (via the KVM)

So, if the VGA port is dead too, how is the virtual KVM going to help?

I've seen serial consoles go unresponsive on my servers (Dell and
others), only to work again after a hardware reset (not even a power
cycle, and sometimes just a normal reboot is enough).

If indeed you do currently have it configured for serial console access,
and if you are relatively sure (via inspection of timestamps on critical
config files) that you haven't accidentally changed something that might
cause it to fail to return to a sufficiently operating state (i.e. so
that you can gain remote access), and if you can have someone in real
life stand before it while you reboot it, perhaps you can shut it down
and have them hit the hardware reset button (assuming it has one).
That'll be safer than a power cycle, and if it doesn't reboot then the
hardware was too far gone to survive your upgrade anyway.

So, do backups first, of course.

There are lots of caveats in there, and if it does reboot OK maybe the
console will come back and maybe it won't.  If not then it's likely a
hardware problem and you might want to think of replacing it anyway.  If
the console does NOT come back then maybe you can upgrade blindly
anyway, though I'm not sure I'd want to continue using it for long
without console access.

I've got a remote server where I can't get to the console (Dell iDRAC)
at the moment due to apparent network congestion problems.  I crashed it
yesterday but it rebooted OK on its own but I'm a little worried it
might end up at the "press any key to reboot" prompt if I'm not
ultra-careful.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>