Re: Boot from disk, serial console over IPMI help for DL160 G6

On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 at 18:39, Jeff Rizzo <riz%tastylime.net@localhost> wrote:

> On 7/19/21 10:21 AM, Tobias Nygren wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 09:58:30 -0700
> > Jeff Rizzo <riz%tastylime.net@localhost> wrote:
> >
> >> In case it clarifies anything, here's what the GPT looks like on all the
> >> disks (more or less):
> >>
> >>          start        size  index  contents
> >>              0           1         PMBR
> >>              1           1         Pri GPT header
> >>              2          32         Pri GPT table
> >>             34   230686720      1  GPT part - NetBSD RAIDFrame component
> >>      230686754  7583350381      2  GPT part - ZFS
> >>     7814037135          32         Sec GPT table
> >>     7814037167           1         Sec GPT header
> >>

> >> Anyone care to help?  :)  Thanks in advance!
> > You don't want to align your paritions to offset 34 on modern
> > disks. That is bad for performance. Disks internally use 4k sectors
> > even if they expose the 512b interface so you want to either use a
> > smaller GPT header so you can start at offset 32, or start at offset
> > 64. (Linux and Windows installers typically add the first partition at
> > offset 1024 or even 2048 which is a bit overkill.)
>

> Ugh.  Yeah, I knew this, but didn't bother to do the mental arithmetic.
> This is why I tried using sysinst to install - so all this would get
> handled without me having to deal with the details.  Ah, well.
>

> > To install boot loader for this non-UEFI(*) system:
> >
> > gpt biosboot -A -i 1
> > installboot -v /dev/rdk0a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv2
> > and ditto for the other raidframe component
>

> Oh, right!  GPT biosboot... I suspect that's what I'm missing.
>

> > (*) You don't have an EFI System Partition so this installation can't
> > support EFI unless you wipe everything and start over.
> >
> > If you want to try EFI boot you must create a gpt partition
> > with type efi, format it as msdosfs, mount in on /mnt and
> > copy /usr/mdec/bootx64.efi to /mnt/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi.
>

> Since wd2 and wd3 don't currently have anything in the RAID partition, I
> will probably  redo the installation there to fix the alignment... so, I
> should create that anyway just in case.
>
> > Kind regards,
> > -Tobias
>

> Thanks!

I googled around, it seems G6 does not have EFI boot option at all
(*); generally they refer to it as being somewhat pain in the
proverbial...

* https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/9tx6dk/hp_dl160_g6_and_windows_server_2008r2_dumb/
--
----