Re: Accidentally "upgraded" i386 to amd64

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 7:10 AM Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> [dropped port-i386; this is only of interest to people with amd64
> hardware!]

I don't know, I would have been interested...

> I have done this successfully (intentionally).
>
> It sounds like you are running an amd64 kernel but not yet an amd64
> userland.
>
> What I did was:
>
>   install the amd64 kernel
>
>   reboot (always recommended but really really necessary for this)
>
>   install the amd64 userland
>
>   carefully merge the files in etc.  I use etcmanage, but then I went
>   over the diffs from distribution to what I had and did manual merges.
>   Takes a while, maybe an hour, but saves that tracking down things you
>   don't understand later.
>
>   re-run MAKEDEV in /dev, (the MAKEDEV and MAKEDEV.local from amd64 that
>   got updated above as I think it's part of etcdist) because some of the
>   device nodes are different
>
>   reboot again
>
>   mark every package as 'pkg_admin set rebuild=YES'
>
>   run pkg_rollling-replave -ukv, deal with issues
>
> In your case you could "pkgin export" to get a list and then remove them
> all and then add back what you need.
>
> i386 packages  will run ok, almost entirely, but if you mix i386/amd64
> you will quickly have a huge mess.  There is no advantage to running an
> emulated pkgsrc setup, so changing it to native is best.

Unfortunately it's too late for me to do this, sysinst did what it did
and I'm left with fixing what I have but if I someone needs to do it
that looks like a better idea.

> This is because you have packages that are installed that are i386 mode.
>
> I am not clear on if pkgin considers a package needing replacement if
> the arch differs.   This situation is of course unusual.

The only one I couldn't replace manually was pkg_install because it is
pesky. All of the pkg_* binaries are still 32 bit, maybe this is the
problem...

> If you had deleted and used pkgin add or import, should be ok.  Now you
> should be able to "pkgin up", munge keep flags, etc. and use pkgin.

pkgin is currently 64 bit as are all of my packages except pkg_install

> Did you unpack the n9 amd64 userland?

Nope, see above. Sysinst was used.

> Check "file /bin/sleep" and make sure it is the amd64 version.

It is.

> Note that /usr/lib/i386 has compat libs for i386, as part of the amd64 build.

Yeah and I don't want to remove i386 compatibility until I'm sure most
stuff will work.

> Hope this helps.  You may also want to purge things that are from the
> i386 install that were not overwritten from the amd64 install.   But
> make sure all packages are amd64 before you do that.

This is the "I don't know what I don't know" part. So far the machine
seems to be working. As problems pop up I will try to fix them. I'm
sure there will be 32 bit junk scattered across the system "forever",
which is OK as long as it doesn't cause a problem. Maybe some day I
will move the data to a cleanly installed system.

Thanks!

Andy