Re: Building an amd64 "Linux bootloader" kernel and RAM disk?

On Nov 28, 2020, at 11:23 PM, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 04:35:38PM -0800, Chris Hanson wrote:
>> It doesn't look like there are any "Linux bootloader" kernels and RAM
>> disk images built for amd64.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by that. The amd64 GENERIC kernel
> should have MULTIBOOT support. Comparing to arm images makes no sense as
> firmware (and boot protocol) is totaly different.

It does not work to pass either netbsd-GENERIC or netbsd-GENERIC.gz to Virtualization.framework, while passing vmlinuz works.

I can boot a Linux kernel by passing vmlinuz for the kernel and initrd.img for the optional initial RAM disk. What do I need to do to generate something equivalent for NetBSD? Virtualization.framework does not have MBR/GPT/EFI/UEFI boot support, only direct kernel boot support.

  — Chris