Re: compat_bsdos

On 2020-08-04 06:17, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:

> Just to make a general observation (and this really isn't NetBSD
> specific at all), those of us who have had long careers doing things
> with operating systems and software systems, rather than doing things
> to them, do depend on the maintenance of backward compatibility.

I put in PR/555047 to document the problem that occurs on NetBSD 8+ when
attempting to load BSD/OS 2+ binaries that depend on BSDi's /shlib
libraries.

The first two BSDi releases are tough to run directly in an emulator.
You would need an Adaptec ISA IRQ compatible SCSI disk controller and an
NE2000 network card to use the system.  There's no ATA compatability.
That narrows down your options to pcem, which runs at the original
system speed of the emulated cpu, but the boot floppy doesn't work there
or on qemu.  If you transfer an installed disk image into qemu, you'd
have to slowly netboot off an NE2000.

Thanks,

Dan