Re: firefox and OpenOffice for 6.1_STABLE

			Hi everyone,

On 24/10/2014 18:40, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:
> No - I have no means of telling this.   I would be grateful for any
> guidance that will get me a working browser and OpenOffice in
> up-to-date versions.   I am finding the move to amd64 quite painful
> for lack of clear signals about how to put together the day-to-day
> toolkit.   I get the sense that NetBSD is becoming less accessible to
> a technically-based business that is not focussed on OS development
> and enhancement, but I would like to believe that I'm just missing out
> on some current documentation or know-how.   After many years (since
> before 2.0) of being exclusively NetBSD-based other than for delivery
> tools for Windows boxes, I'm beginning to find that putting a rew
> releas together with standard packages is soaking up unprecedented
> amounts of my time.   Surely someone has successfully set up a recent
> Firefox and OpenOffice?

In EdgeBSD (www.edgebsd.org) we offer binary packages from pkgsrc-2013Q1
(i386 and amd64), with some security patches (unfortunately not all). We
have firefox 24 and OpenOffice 3.1.1:
http://ftp.edgebsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/EdgeBSD/EdgeBSD-6/amd64/stable/All
They are GPG-signed with key ID 6F3AF5E2.

While firefox is ok, as Joerg mentioned you really want LibreOffice
instead these days.

HTH,
-- khorben

--