firefox and OpenOffice for 6.1_STABLE

I am trying to replace some ageing machines with a clutch of amd64's,
planning to get one machine going with the basic suite of packages we
all use and then cloning the installation onto the others.

Firefox36, whether compiled from pkgsrc or added with pkg_add crashes
on startup, reporting issues with Pango and font selection, and then
segfaults.    OpenOffice appears not to have made it into amd64 at
all.

Advice please on how to get these two rather important applications
going.   Do I need to use Linux versions, or i386 versions?
Debugging large packages is not the best use of my time, but I use
these two constantly as part of my day job, and I've been unexpectedly
and unwillingly dependent on Windows.

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>