Re: Motherboard chipset for NetBSD 5.1

On 11/27/10 10:13 AM, Morten Gulbrandsen (Java programmer) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have this motherboard in my mind:
>
> GA-870A-UD3 (rev. 2.1)
>
> http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3517#ov

I got this reply from Gigabyte:

===
        Dear Mr. Gulbrandsen,

Thank you for emailing GIGABYTE.
We are delighted with your interest in our products.

I'm sorry to inform you that we do NOT officially support any
non-Windows operation system. The only possible way for you to check
with is to visit the NetBSD website/Forum or the chipset makers'
website, like AMD, Realtek, etc.

Wish you luck!

===

AMD is no problem they make excellent support and any issue will be
resolved,  How well does NetBSD or any BSD scale on six cores?

Is SMP still an issue with NetBSD?

I remember there was something there but so far I haven't been able to
figure out if that is resolved; on this board, which is not selected to
run NetBSD I did observe something strange, after disabling ACPI and SMP
NetBSD finally started.  I will report more about this in a separate
mesage.

It says here

http://www.wasabisystems.com/oems/board_support_package
http://www.wasabisystems.com/docs/WCB70223.pdf

AMD64
AMD AMD64 Hammer

http://www.wasabisystems.com/technology/certified_BSD

The software is to my knowledge based on NetBSD, but the company was
down for a while, but they are now live.

There are other discussions for this topic here:
===
Support for this motherboard?
===

audio device:
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
Device: SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

This is not an issue because I have an old ensonic PCI sound card which
runs well on all BSDs

DVD
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
Device: SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [IDE mode]

ATI was always a problem; nVidia or Intel chipsets never was a problem.

Video card
Vendor: nVidia Corporation
Device: NV44 [Quadro NVS 285]

Video and network is not a problem, because I can insert 3com or nvidia
in PCI and PCI Extress.

Please which gigabyte board supporting AMD64 Phenom II  X6  six core
works well with NetBSD SMP?

This board with ATI controller does not. At least not on first attempt.

NIC
Vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
Device: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller

Works fine. No issues on NetBSD.

Sincerely yours,

èçå  åçéèåè
Morten Gulbrandsen
Java programmer, C++ programmer
CAcert Assurer, GSWoT introducer, thawte Notary
Gossamer Spider Web of Trust http://www.gswot.org
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail!