Re: serial console and panic

Christoph Egger wrote:
> Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
>> Christoph Egger <Christoph_Egger%gmx.de@localhost> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like, there's a relation to PR kern/40734.
>> Yes, it looks similar.
>> Any workaround? Does that help if I disable the console in /etc/ttys,
>> for instance?
>>

> From last time it happened to me
> I have the suspicion, that unplug and
> then re-plug the serial connector may cause this.

If there is an earthing potential difference between the two machines
connected with a serial (RS232/null-modem) cable, the resulting
(mini-)surge will be interpreted as a break signal. You can prevent it
by using special cables or wiring a resistor between the ground
connections (iirc). Another workaround is to not have a break signal
trigger DDB (I think there's a sysctl for that).

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard
        tgen%netphreax.net@localhost