Re: starting AMD second core

Andrew Doran wrote:
On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 06:39:02PM +0000, arthur wrote:

Andrew Doran <a <at> netbsd.org> writes:
Please try booting a -current kernel. You can get one from ftp.netbsd.org/pub/
NetBSD/NetBSD_daily, I think.

Andrew

I replaced my /netbsd with this version:
ftp://ftp2.us.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-4/200804210000Z
/amd64/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.MP.gz

rebooted, and now the second cpu comes up wonderfully!

I ran a few processor intensive tasks simultaneously and "top" shows each core
running at 100% and everything looks great.

Thanks all,
arthur

Hmm, I think you must have installed the GENERIC kernel and not GENERIC.MP.
You are using a netbsd-4 kernel now, not a -current one. FYI in -current
which will become 5.0, multiprocessor support is included by default so it
is not an issue.

Andrew

Fortunately, I have a copy of my previous "dmesg" and it shows that your assessment is correct:

NetBSD 4.0 (GENERIC) #0: Sat Dec 15 22:25:31 PST 2007
builds@wb28:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-4-0-RELEASE/amd64/200712160005Z-obj
/home/builds/ab/netbsd-4-0-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC

When I installed NetBSD 4.0, I just got the latest iso, and installed. I didn't know that I had to replace the generic kernel with a MP kernel (or even that there were two different kernels). I don't recall anything in the installation process that queried me about MP or my kernel desires, so I didn't even know that I didn't know. :)

> FYI in -current
> which will become 5.0, multiprocessor support is included by default > > so it
> is not an issue.

Cool!
thanks,
arthur