Re: Is amd64 ready for the desktop?

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:00:12PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> I think it would be best if ulimits were set at boot time based on
> system resource sizes, and that way no one will have to ever think
> about the problem again.

So this is "Because Linux idiots can't program, we set limits so high
that it might just work"? Sorry, that approach simply doesn't work.
It would be helpful to not just complain about "Foo needs larger
stacks", but take a look at the calltree and figure out where it does
the huge stack allocations and fix that. It is often very easy to do so.

Joerg