Re: Is amd64 ready for the desktop?

On 3/18/08, Arto Huusko <arto.huusko%pp2.inet.fi@localhost> wrote:

> Two bugs, which I'm sure will bite in more places than these:
>
> * File -> Open
> * File Type: Text CSV
> * Select some file
> * Open
> -> Crash
>
> And, in a speardsheet (even new, empty spreadsheet)
>
> * Data -> Select Range
> -> Crash
>
> I don't know if this is amd64 bug or in general a bug affecting NetBSD
> or even any *nix. Under Windows those work, so it is not a general OOO
> bug.

This is a bug in the X server, not NetBSD.

I think it has something to do with buggy signal handling (gee,
haven't seen that one before in the X server ...) in the "smart"
scheduler; I've seen the same [hideous] workaround over and over while
looking through various linux distributions' Xorg server patch sets.

Attached is the patch for modular-xorg-server-1.3.0.0nb6; apply it while
you're in x11/modular-xorg-server.

You may be able to tell in advance if this works by starting the X
server with the -dumbSched option and seeing if the problem
recurs--but I'm not 100% positive about that.  Regrettably, I could
not find the actual patch, and I can't take the time now, but I think
this is it.

Regards,

--Blair