Re: Is amd64 ready for the desktop?

D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
Although mplayer works it seems to fail on some certain files.  Under
i386 I never had any problems.  In fact when I have problems I simply
switch to my wife's i386 machine and play them there.  Music files are
mostly fine.  It is video that seems to have problems.

What kind of files exactly? ffmpeg (which mplayer uses) should decode pretty much anything you throw at it except VC1 and some more obscure formats.

In any case, the reason you might be seeing a difference between mplayer on i386 and amd64 is the win32-codecs package (which we do not make available on amd64).

Cheers,
Jared