Re: Is amd64 ready for the desktop?

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 02:40:40PM -0400, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
I use gramofile which is a curses or ncurses based app.  The screen is
messed up by strings that look like this:
    "bad format `p'ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..."

Actually I suspect it's an issue with our curses. I see this
when running sysinst from a xen guest, in a screen session on an
amd64 dom0 (the domU can be 32 or 64 bits, it doen't change the behavior).
For me it's clearly related to screen; if I run xm console it in a simple ssh
session without screen, it displays fine.

If the issue is with the system curses on amd64, then you can ask pkgsrc to prefer using ncurses (not sure if it's any better, but they use it on 64bit Linux and FreeBSD, so I assume it works) by setting the following in your mk.conf file:

PREFER_PKGSRC=  curses

        Cheers,

        -- Johnny C. Lam