Subject: Re: v 3.1: update gnome?
To: Huub <huubvanniekerk@gmail.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 12/07/2007 15:18:04
Huub <huubvanniekerk@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been searching for the way to update/rebuild gnome, but I can't
> find any description. From the past I seem to remember, I have to
> "make install clean" meta-pkgs/gnome, but I'm not sure.
> Ideas and suggestions are welcome.

sysutils/pkg_rolling-replace can do this, but it doesn't yet handle
renamed packages, and there are a lot of them.  If you want to build
from source, and you consider yourself able to deal with pkgsrc
problems, I recommend (loosely, and assuming bash, but interpret "&>"
correctly :-)

  update pkgsrc
  pkg_chk -uq &> PKG

  pkg_delete -r all the 'missing' packages, noting what is deleted that
  you want that isn't part of gnome-base

  pkg_rolling-replace -uv &> RR.000
    [fix problems, repeat onto RR.001, etc.)

  'make package' in meta-pkgs/gnome-base

Alternatively, teach pkg_rolling-replace to use the CHANGES files to
find the old package name for reamed packages and use "make replace
OLDNAME=", and then send me the patch.