Subject: ThinkPad T61p X crash location: mtrr
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@pp2.inet.fi>
List: port-amd64
Date: 09/30/2007 10:41:14
> The machine has NV Quadro FX 570M. I was able to compile
> xf86-video-nv-2.1.5 (simply changed version number from 2.1.3
> to 2.1.5 in pkgsrc), which at least recognizes it, but
> trying to start X the display first changes to an empty text
> screen with the cursor in the upper left corner as usual,
> and then after a few seconds the machine simply reboots.
> This happens both with and without MULTIPROCESSOR.

The agp issue aside, I was able to track down where the crash
occurs (without the agp, of course): X crashes the machine
during init (xf86MapVidMem) in the call to i386_set_mttr from
NetBSDsetWC() in hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/i386_video.c.

As far as I can see, this has nothing to do even with what
driver I'm using (I'm currently trying to use vesa).

About the agp issue: I looked at intel docs for the chip that
is in T61p, and the current NetBSD agp drivers most certainly
won't support it, because the chip is not a Host-AGP bridge,
but a Host-PCI-E bride. For example, it does not have the
AGP_APBASE register -- in other words, it does not have the
apreture system.

The doc is at

	http://www.intel.com/design/mobile/datashts/316273.htm