Subject: assembly optimisations
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: None <murray@river-styx.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 09/19/2007 15:30:52
Hi Folks,
   I have been playing around a lot with various assembly optimisations for
low level functions like memcpy, memset, strcmp etc.
   I have concluded from lots of profiling that the implementations as
found in opensolaris are the best by far. They are generally written by
AMD themselves and I guess have some work by opensolaris related folk.
   Offhand, the licensing for opensolaris and AMD ontributed code seems
compatible to NetBSD but I am not a lawyer...
   I would like to suggest that we pull over opensolaris's implementations
of a lot of the low level mem and str functions. They are real quick
compared to NetBSD, NetBSD patches lying around, FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
   What do others think?

Take care,
    Murray Armfield