Subject: Re: painfully slow
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Jones <christian.jones@sri.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 08/20/2007 09:22:35
Okay, I applied the patch and build a GENERIC kernel from it. When I
re-enabled the USB ports and booted the new kernel, "systat vmstat" was
showing 200000 pin 11 interrupts per sample period, and over 60% CPU
time spent in interrupt. I tried extracting pkgsrc.tar.gz as a speed
test, and the machine locked hard.

I then disabled the USB ports and rebooted the new kernel. The SATA
controller is definitely capable of much higher throughput with the
patch applied, which I appreciate. The machine is speedy, even while
it's rewriting its RAID parity.

However, I'm still in essentially the same position: I can either have
my USB controller enabled, and the machine is barely usable; or I can
have good performance but no console keyboard (because USB is disabled).
Any thoughts on what I can do to diagnose the USB problems? Would
"options ACPI" and friends make any difference? Should I try enabling
the ehci?

Thanks again for the help.

Chris