Subject: More data on BETA 200706260002Z
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
List: port-amd64
Date: 06/28/2007 08:26:09
This is using todays 200706260002Z build.

My system is an amd64 system using an asus a8n-sli premium mb with a
x2 cpu installed.

The CD still does not work (actually a dvd-R drive)

The error report is:

cd0(viaide0:1:0): Check Condition on CDB: 0xd28 00 00 00 00 1a 00 00
01 00
SENSE KEY: Hardware Error
ASC/ASCQ: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error

mount_cd9660: /dev/cd0a on /mnt: Input/output error

SUCCESS WAS OBTAINED by doing dd commands with a skip from the
cd0a device, eventually getting a downgrade of the dma rate. The install
kernel error messages are not available but that is what I eventually
forced
and after the downgrade occured the install process could mount the cd
and follow through the entire iinstall program.

As I recall this downgrade used to happen automagically on hard
drives etc.
and perhaps some attempt to speed things up has broken other systems?
Regardless, some type of extra probing to the cd device to force the
downgrade during the install might get the system installed and I am
sure
that a fully installed system has the capability to configure the cd
ide connection
speed someplace really easily with an echo command (linux only?)
someplace
or an ide configuration command to fix the trouble.

HMMM, another glitch... While playing with the newly installed system
I find that
I can not force the error to occur and downgrade the dvd-r drive ide
connection,
and that the drive is still not accessible.

I hope that this info is enough to point to what is happening before
netbsd-4
is released for real.

Thanks...
Joe