Subject: Re: various changes on INSTALL and iso generation
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 02/27/2007 14:51:59
The real fix, as Manuel pointed out, is to have sysinst detect things
like this.  There's a bunch of other stuff it should do, IMHO, but
doesn't, like conveniently supporting custom-built kernels, saving the
media options used during installation to ifconfig.if (and allowing
for network configuration if one doesn't install from the network),
installing on multiple physical disks, etc., etc.  Given that it's not
too difficult to do a manual installation in these cases, I can
understand how sysinst has remained so rudimentary.
It does do the basic stuff well.

I do think, though, that we should have a disk/CD image available
(personally, I'd like something I could write to a USB flash drive)
with a basic installation on it so one can easily do the tasks
manually that sysinst doesn't do.  I don't mind extracting sets
manually, etc., but I would like to be able to download an image with
a full set of tools that I could use for things like creating LFS
filesystems, creating ccds, etc.  Being able to install syspkgs and/or
pkgsrc packages from this imagine also could be useful ...

Ideas/comments?

Regards,

--Blair

--
Support WFMU-FM: free-form radio for the masses!
<http://www.wfmu.org/>

"The frivolity and boredom which unsettle the established order, the
vague foreboding of something unknown, these are the heralds of
approaching change.  The gradual crumbling that left unaltered the
face of the whole is cut short by a sunburst which, in one flash,
illuminates the features of the new world."  --G.W.F. Hegel,
_Phenomenology of Spirit_ 5:11