Subject: Re: Any hope for getting nForce 4 MoBo's working?
To: None <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 10/03/2006 10:20:26
On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 08:38:01PM -0700, paul@whooppee.com wrote:
> I'm still having no luck at all with getting my ASUS A8N5X
> motherboard
> to boot and run in 64-bit mode.  It works fine in i386
> 32-bit mode, but
> continues to suffer from the viaide1:0:0 lost interrupt
> syndrome.

With ACPI support in the kernel, I believe that the interrupt problems
should be mostly gone. However, there are still some reports of people
for whom this doesn't solve the problem completely. I have an Asus
A8V-CSM board with a dual core CPU, on which kernels boot up, but
then things get really weird when init(8) is executed: an illegel
instruction trap is produced seemingly exactly when it jumps to
userspace to run init. The %eip already points at the first userspace
instruction, but the code page hasn't been faulted in yet. I checked
the segmentation setup, etc, but everything seems to be ok.

According to all docs, the iret instruction isn't even supposed to
be able to generate a #UD trap, so I'm stumped so far. My last
theory that I need to verify is that it gets an interrupt or trap
for which the gate isn't properly set up.

Anyway, there is a good chance that your interrupt issues will be fixed
using ACPI support in the kernel.

- Frank