Subject: Shuttle SN27P2: success, mostly
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: port-amd64
Date: 09/30/2006 23:10:05
--IWOW6f13lWWiH/hK

Hi all,

Just a quick note about a success story.  It went much better than I
initially expected.

The machine is a Shuttle SN27P2, equipped with an AMD Athlon X2 3800+
(the 89W version, I couldn't get my hands on an EE) and 2GB of RAM.

The motherboard has a nForce 570 Ultra chipset, I added an NVIDIA
GeForce 6200LE on the PCIe port.  For the story to be complete, it has
both a SATA hard drive and a SATA DVD burner.

dmesg: http://taryn.cubidou.net/~cube/netbsd/sn27p2.dmesg

I quickly installed an amd64 snapshot and later updated to latest
-current.

nfe, azalia, viaide, ohci all work perfectly in my use (the USB part is
still under-tested, but at least it had no trouble with the hub in my
monitor and the devices behind it;  all USB1).  I haven't tried all the
"fancy" stuff like recording from azalia, playing with ehci or thinking
of a way to use the eSATA port.

I had no interrupt trouble, not a glitch with XFree86 from xsrc.

Oh, wait, it's not true, I do have one glitch with XFree86.  An annoying
PITA, actually.  It only happens when I use the "nv" driver, so I can
still fail back on the "vesa" one.  With the nv driver, firefox triggers
a bug very quickly that makes the X server loop on handling SIGALRM.  It
happens with all X versions I could test:  XFree86 from xsrc, X.org from
pkgsrc, modular X.org built mostly by hand (and that, my friends, was
one _major_ pain).  I'll see how I can debug that in the next few days.

First I thought it was tied to Xv, but mplayer didn't trigger the bug,
and later I tried with a firefox on a remote host, and it just did the
same.

I have yet to try running NetBSD/i386 on it (at least to see if it has
the firefox bug, too).

Meanwhile, is there anything people want me to try?  I might be able to
manage to try adding two more GBs of RAM, at least temporarily.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--IWOW6f13lWWiH/hK

--IWOW6f13lWWiH/hK--