Subject: Re: 64bit compat_linux and matlab
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 07/29/2006 17:10:01
--J4XPiPrVK1ev6Sgr

Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org> wrote:
=20
> I was wondering: what's the status of 64bit linux emulation?  Does that
> basically work or are there tweaks?  In particular, I'd be interested in
> running the new 64bit version of Matlab on NetBSD/amd64.  Anybody tried
> that?

Just as another datapoint for those interested in this:

One of my users has installed the 64bit version of matlab on 64bit
Linux, only to find out that the 64bit version actually runs _slower_
than the 32bit version.  He found the following note in a matlab forum:

"Please note that Native (machine) code for the Just-In-Time (JIT)
compiler is not available for 64-bit versions of MATLAB. This implies
that scalar operations are performed in the accelerator, which will
be slower than if the operations were perfomed using machine code. As
a result, the execution of some operations will be slower in 64-bit
versions of MATLAB than in 32-bit versions of MATLAB. We are aware of
this issue and are working towards implementing native code for JIT
on 64-bit versions of MATLAB."

He says that the 32bit version runs approx. 50% faster.

Now on to get the 32bit version running on NetBSD/amd64 with
COMPAT_LINUX32...

-Jan

--=20
Tradition is the illusion of permanence. -- Woody Allen

--J4XPiPrVK1ev6Sgr

--J4XPiPrVK1ev6Sgr--