Subject: Re: NForce4 status?
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: port-amd64
Date: 06/18/2006 14:54:25
--M9kwpIYUMbI/2cCx

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 09:41:33AM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> I haven't seen much on the list lately, and was wondering
> if there's been any progress made on getting the Nforce4
> boards working with X2 CPUs?

I don't care any more, hornblende (Opteron 170, 4GiB) gave me
so much trouble I switched to it's brother obsidian with a
148 and half the RAM.  Everything just works.  No downclocking
the RAM, no disabling devices (other than the APIC), no memory
hole remapping (so X works).  Plus, single threaded things run
faster because of the .2 extra GHz and the faster RAM.

This has changed my opinion of the amd64 port enough that
I would consider getting a single core box at home if
I could afford one now, or actually needed a faster box.
If I need 64-bit computing I've got some alpha and sparc64 boxes.

	Jonathan Kollasch

--M9kwpIYUMbI/2cCx

--M9kwpIYUMbI/2cCx--