Subject: X2 motherboard selection confusion
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Anders Lindgren <ali@df.lth.se>
List: port-amd64
Date: 05/04/2006 23:57:28
Good $timeofday everyone.

   I recently had to return my (leased) amd64 3500+ due to switching jobs,
so now I am about to order an Athlon64 X2 box privately instead. I've been
trying to figure out what motherboard makes a good netbsd-friendly choice,
and my local dealer of choice doesn't seem to have an awful lot to choose
from.

   I am looking for a (preferrably fan-less) pcie motherboard with sata2.
Currently, I am looking at an ASUS A8N32 SLI motherboard[0], which seems
pretty good; fast bus, fan-less, and known to work fine at least in Linux.

   It has an nvidia nforce4 SLI X16 chipset, so I don't expect the pcie
Gbit ethernet to work, but that's ok[1]. However, I just heard on
#NetBSD@IRCNet that port-amd64 has acpi(?) irq routing problems on nforce4
chipsets, esp. with dual cores? I've browser the port-amd64 mailing list
archive, but I can't really tell what success I might expect with NetBSD
and this motherboard.

Any enlightenment on the issue appreciated. :)

[0] http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=744&l1=3&l2=15&l3=0

[1] Any chance the other nforce4 Gbit ethernet interface works with
     nfe(4)?

Regards,
ali:)