Subject: Re: (ATI video + AMD64 specific?) hard hangs while experimenting
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org,>
From: theo borm <theo_nbsdamd@borm.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 01/18/2006 14:17:25
Hi,

I just did some swapping of videocards, and found that the problem
is NOT AMD64 specific, and that I can faithfully reproduce hangs on
both machines with both videocards.

Normally I have my TFT connected using a DVI cable AND using an
analogue cable through a KVM to the same cards' vga output. This
set-up allows me to quickly switch between machines, while still having
the benefits of the digital interface when I need them (switching between
digital and anologue inputs through the monitors' control pannel /all/ the
time is a nuisance)

As it turns out, having both  video-card outputs connected at the same
time is what causes the crashes, and in this respect it does not matter if
monitors are TFT or CRT or if they are switched on at all, and the exact
point where X dies (fiddling with I2C and DDCs) makes me quite certain
that (al least my) problems are radeon driver related.

As I basically have a mono-head set up, I don't know if these problems
also occur when configuring a proper dual head/Xinerama system.

I guess it's back to google again...

regards, Theo