Subject: Re: 7GB memtest causes hard system hang.
To: None <port-amd64@NetBSD.org>
From: Anne Bennett <anne@porcupine.montreal.qc.ca>
List: port-amd64
Date: 01/13/2006 19:59:15
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> writes:

> Next, unlimit datasize, memoryuse, and memorylocked.  Next,
> run "memtester" from pkgsrc -- I see I accidentally called it "memtest",
> but since that's the only memory tester we have that runs under NetBSD

Actually I have not had much luck with memtester (it had not occurred
to me to unlimit anything, which may have been why it claimed it was
testing a small fraction of the amount of memory I was asking it to
test), but what I wanted to point out is that memtest86 *is* available
for NetBSD, and the i386 version works on my Athlon64 machine.  One
just creates an ISO image or a floppy with it as the boot blocks, boot
it, and run.  I've had good results with it, but I've tested only 2GB
of RAM.  You might consider it worth trying.

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, as a private citizen:  anne@porcupine.montreal.qc.ca
Also reachable more officially at work:  anne@encs.concordia.ca