Subject: ACPI kernels
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
List: port-amd64
Date: 10/12/2005 23:32:59
In order to get my Asus A6K laptop to boot, I needed to use an ACPI
kernel.

There is an INSTALL_ACPI config file in conf, but it doesn't get built
at present. There isn't an equivalent GENERIC_ACPI.

I created a GENERIC_ACPI based on GENERIC that was good enough to get
the machine to boot, but I'm wondering now whether it would have been
better to include GENERIC into GENERIC_ACPI as is done for the INSTALL
configs.

I have made the changes needed to build the two extra kernels and
tested it by building a release.

Has anyone got any thoughts on what extra floppy images ought to be
built before I go any further or commit anything ?

Also, is anyone working on getting CardBus to work on amd64 ?

I can get the MI stuff to build by copying rbus_machdep.[ch] from i386,
but don't know what is a sensible value to use for RBUS_MIN_START, or
whether the i386 version should work.

Robert Swindells