Subject: Re: Any experience with MSI nforce motherboards?
To: None <port-amd64@NetBSD.org>
From: Aiko Barz <aiko@haeckser.de>
List: port-amd64
Date: 09/21/2005 12:38:35
--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 11:27:29AM +0200, Anders Lindgren wrote:
>   o   IOAPIC needs to be disabled in BIOS, or GENERIC/INSTALL will just
>     stall on SATA accesses with "lost interrupt" messages. Disabling
>     IOAPIC in BIOS was enough to make SATA work (but is a big nuisance,
>     since that Wintendo game bootloader in turn doesn't boot with  IOAPIC
>     disabled). Haven't tried the SiI SATARAID ports at all.

At least, you can disable APIC in BIOS. My mainboard doesn't have this
feature. (Some NetBSD bootloader options would be nice in that kind of
case.)

Your Windows would boot with IOAPIC disabled if it would have been
installed without this feature. You do not need APIC if you don't have
too many devices. If every device has its own IRQ, there is no reason
to enable APIC afaik.
(You did want to here something about NetBSD and I'm talking about
Windows. *omg*)

Bye,
    Aiko
--=20