Subject: Re: Any experience with MSI nforce motherboards?
To: David Brownlee <abs@absd.org>
From: Anders Lindgren <ali@df.lth.se>
List: port-amd64
Date: 09/21/2005 11:27:29
Ooops, seems I forgot completely about this. In case anyone is still
interested:

I built 3.0_BETA for amd64 again sometime early september, and tried to
install it on my amd64 3500+ on an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard,
which features an nVIDIA nForce4 Ultra chipset.

Following quirks arose:

   o   IOAPIC needs to be disabled in BIOS, or GENERIC/INSTALL will just
     stall on SATA accesses with "lost interrupt" messages. Disabling
     IOAPIC in BIOS was enough to make SATA work (but is a big nuisance,
     since that Wintendo game bootloader in turn doesn't boot with  IOAPIC
     disabled). Haven't tried the SiI SATARAID ports at all.

   o   INSTALL kernel doesn't include the sk(c) driver(s), which means that
     the install kernel can't use the Marvell Yukon Gbit ethernet interface.
     The nVIDIA 10/100 ethernet interface isn't supported at all afaik.

   o   GENERIC does include sk/skc driver(s), but my Marvell Yukon still
     doesn't work. Not as in "not configured" or "crashes", but as in
     "the kernel has absolutely no idea it's there". It doesn't find any
     network interfaces at all.

This is pretty much as far as I got. I never built X, since I intended to
just download that after I got the rest installed and up, but since the
kernel is convinced I have no network interfaces, I couldn't -- I'll have
to get an other NIC to put in it for the time being.

/ali
:wq