Subject: Re: INSTALL.* for amd64 ?
To: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 08/25/2005 19:45:24
On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 07:58:18PM +0100, Dieter wrote:
> Trying to install 2.0.2 on an AMD64.
>
> Where are the INSTALL.* files for AMD64 hiding?
>
> I can find
>
>     ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0.2/alpha/INSTALL.html
>
> and siblings, but
>
>     ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0.2/amd64/
>
> only has the binary and installation directories, no INSTALL.* files.
>
> In ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0.2/amd64/installation/floppy/
> What is the difference between boot-com[12].fs and boot[12].fs ?
>
> If the firmware is set to use a rs232 console, will the NetBSD kernel
> also use a rs232 console?  Will it use the same baud rate, parity, and
> such as the firmware?

I've a motherboard with serial console support in BIOS, but I've not tried
to use it with a serial console yet, so what i'm saying here is only guess.
Also, the motherboard I have is a P4, but maybe the BIOS works in the same
way on your.
On my mothetboard, in the "BIOS redirection" menu, there's an option to
tell if agent should be keept running after boot or not. My guess is
that, if the agent is keept running, the boot loader (which uses the BIOS I/O)
will use the serial console. But the kernel will use keyboard/VGA.
Also, if the agent is keept running, the serial port may not be available for
other use.
However, if the agent is disabled after boot, boot-com[12].fs is
likely to work, and the kernel will use serial console too.
boot-com[12].fs uses 9600,n,8,1.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>