Subject: Re: Newbie
To: None <ethemind@gmail.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 08/18/2005 21:59:39
Egor Dmitrenkov wrote:

> Hello!
> I'm a really newbie to NetBSD but I used FreeBSD for years and I'm
> trying to understand
> if I will have serious problems using NetBSD. But for the first I want
> to ask experienced users
> about the actual state of amd64 support, I've EPOX 8kda3j motherboard
> with nForce3 250Gb set,
> and it worked partialy on FBSD 5.4R, network driver didn't work at
> all. Will it work on NetBSD?

Hi Egor,

The nForce3 network driver won't work out of the box. There's a seperate
package for it, which reportedly does work. Recent FreeBSD code has that
driver in the source tree, with an object file containing the "secret" code.

I've looked at the license for those files, and I know that FreeBSD has
permission for that driver, but the license is bad nonetheless.. I won't
recommended committing it to NetBSD.

In other words, when it comes to driver support, NetBSD won't help you
much more in this case if you're looking for nforce3 network support.

- Frank