Subject: INSTALL_ACPI on nforce4?
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Anders Lindgren <ali@df.lth.se>
List: port-amd64
Date: 07/31/2005 14:32:43
   I just recently got a new toy:

   o MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (nforce4 ultra chipset)
   o AMD64 3500+, 2GB RAM
   o A pair of 300G Seagate Barracuda SATA disks, attached to
     the first SATA controller (not the SiI 3114 SATARAID)

   Reading http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-amd64/2005/02/07/0001.html I
have good hope of blessing this box with NetBSD-3_BETA, and was happy to
find an INSTALL_ACPI kernel config already in the _BETA tree. Mine is:

   $NetBSD: INSTALL_ACPI,v 1.18.4.4

   After building & burning a release ISO and INSTALL_ACPI failing to boot
with the exact same "lost interrupt" error as the default INSTALL kernel,
I noticed it does include the MPBIOS option(s) as well as the MPACPI
option(s). The mailing list mail says nforce4 works without MPBIOS (but
that was -current as of 6 months or so ago), so if anything I guess I
need to remove that.

   I'd appreciate if anyone could clarify if 3_BETA has any chance of
working on nforce4, and how exactly to go about removing MPBIOS. Do I
remove "options MPBIOS" *only* or, for GENERIC, the "MPBIOS_SCANPCI" etc
too? Should I enable MPACPI_INTR_FIXUP et al too when I make an ACPI
kernel config without MPBIOS? By the name it sounds like at least
MPBIOS_SCANPI and its ACPI counterpart would be mutually exclusive?

Best regards,
ali:)