Subject: Re: Benefits of AMD64 arch when running NetBSD/i386.
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 07/30/2005 21:28:20
On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 09:46:35PM -0400, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org> writes:
>
> > > ne excuse to write a program that doesn't work on them. I personally
> > > have an Alpha for over 5 years now (now also an amd64).
> >
> > Yeah, I know.  But the Alpha has 64-bit {int} with its C compilers,
> > doesn't it?  The sloppy assumption that an {int} is the same size
> > as a pointer is probably the biggest problem I've seen.  Relatively
> > little code is bothered by 64-bit pointers, per se, or by the
> > fact that the CPU can directly manipulate 64-bit values.
>
> No, Alpha has the same basic types as amd64; the "LP64" model, where
> "long" and pointers are 64 bits, but "int" is 32 bits. That people are

Thanks to you and Havard for setting me straight on this.  I don't know
what I'll do with that little bit of information, but it's always better
to be more correctly informed.  (^&  Thanks.

I wonder...how much trouble would it be to produce a NetBSD/amd64 that
is ILP64?  Although by now most of the major applications have been
"cleaned", I think...