Subject: Re: Benefits of AMD64 arch when running NetBSD/i386.
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 07/29/2005 12:53:15
On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 04:17:26PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >When I started running NetBSD/amd64, most things tended to work without
> >much difficulty.  But there were a lot of sloppy programs out there
> >that weren't careful enough about mixing different types of objects,
> >so compiling stuff from pkgsrc was sometimes a bit of work---especially
> >if you read the warnings on some of the code.  (^&
>

> looks like lots of things are already fixed. possibly with Your past help
> :)

I'm not sure how much of my work went anywhere.  I filed a few PRs, but
there was some duplicate work from others.

However, I will say: I do not recommend running ARJ
(...pkgsrc/archivers/arj) on any system where {sizeof (void*) >
sizeof (int)}.  (^&  I filed patches with the author, but he
seems not to think that there is anything wrong with casting
pointers to {int} before comparing them to see which is bigger.

 [...]
> >There were two classes of software that had a VERY HARD TIME running
> >on NetBSD/amd64: LISP implementations and web browsers.  (At least,
>
> firefox works fine :)

Yeah.  (^&  But now I like links better.  It's like lynx (keyboard
navigation), but better (graphics, mouse support, ...).  Far be
it from me to push you towards it if you like firefox, but if you
want to try: ...pkgsrc/www/links-gui (...pkgsrc/www/links is without
the graphical/GUI support, but still supports mouse-clicks from
within xterm).

It also compiles more quickly and easily than firefox.  And it can
run (even links-gui) on a text console.

> >I'm not sure about things on the LISP front, though.  (^&
> >
> looks like bad coding habits making too much assuptions. most probably
> that  pointer-pointer gives int not long

I have this theory that there is something about the web and LISP
that causes this kind of bad proramming to be common.  (^&  (I say
this with all affection for the LISP dialects, but little affection
for the mess of webby things...(^&).