Subject: Re: Benefits of AMD64 arch when running NetBSD/i386.
To: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: port-amd64
Date: 07/29/2005 18:02:17
> heh, sure.
> what I meant was, as amd64 is (so) highlight buy vendors, I would have
> expected a bigger difference, even on redmond's window manager.

yes and that's what expected - slower on faster hardware. but you
shouldn't be surprised it's nothing new there.

the most funny part was advert something like:

"new 64-bit architecture
allows the system to load much larger chunks of data to memory where it
can be rapidly accessed by AMD64 processor" (not exactly that words).

no idea how disk transfers depends of CPU intruction set, and anyway -
disk was seeking >80% time of installing system and >50% of using system.

but not to be off-topic too much - will someday NetBSD have larger
MAXBSIZE? 64K is far too low for modern hardware. same for swapping -
big swapin read-ahead would be excellent.