Subject: Re: Benefits of AMD64 arch when running NetBSD/i386.
To: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 07/29/2005 08:16:16
When I started running NetBSD/amd64, most things tended to work without
much difficulty.  But there were a lot of sloppy programs out there
that weren't careful enough about mixing different types of objects,
so compiling stuff from pkgsrc was sometimes a bit of work---especially
if you read the warnings on some of the code.  (^&

There were two classes of software that had a VERY HARD TIME running
on NetBSD/amd64: LISP implementations and web browsers.  (At least,
those were the two I had troubles with.)  Most LISPs and web-browsers
would not compile without a lot of hacking.  I got Mozilla to
compile after a few hours of hacking, around December of 2003, but
it would only display blank windows and had a ton of warnings during
compiling.  (I don't remember if it would crash; I didn't exactly
give it a workout anyway, since it was useless.)

That experience led me to start using links-gui as my web-browser.
Now, except for (lack of) tabbed browsing and a couple of minor
issues, it is my favorite browser.  (^&

Today, things are better.  I have had Firefox running, and even
got a full build of KDE (so Konqueror must have compiled---I don't
recall if I tried Konqueror).

I'm not sure about things on the LISP front, though.  (^&